Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"One Tower Up,...One to Go"











































































This is the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine in upper Manhattan. It's been under construction from the late 19th through the 20th centuries. It will continue to be worked on for most of 21st, and probably part of the 22nd centuries as well.

Job security.

Anyway this wonderful pile of stones, and candles is now half a block from my current temporary digs. So of course I'm hanging around the place every chance I get. If you live here in town or are going to visit during the Holidaze drop by.

I'll be the one with the sketch pad drawing Angels under the third pillar to the left.



Paul Winter, and company were getting ready for their annual concert while I was prowling about the shrine. Sorry yeah the sound seriously sucks. Just turn it down real low, and it's almost okay.

(Click on snap shots to enlarge'em.)


Wow! What a place to hangout!

3 comments:

fanofgrendel said...

Beautiful church. You live in a great place.

On the religious topic:
Barack Obama’s choice of a prominent evangelical minister to perform the invocation at his inauguration is a conciliatory gesture toward social conservatives who opposed him in November, but it is drawing fierce challenges from a gay rights movement that – in the wake of a gay marriage ban in California – is looking for a fight.

Uncle Sydney 2012 said...

I really love St. John's. These daze I take nothing for granted especially not miracles like the Cathedral.

As for Obama's choice of cleric for the invocation,...gag me with a spoon as they used to say.

On the other hand I understand why he did it. An olive branch to the religious right.

Wise move.

This don't mean I like this, but it is the right thing to do.

I'm no Angel. I just draw them.

Anonymous said...

I think part of it is that Obama realizes that if he is to govern effectively, he has to govern from the center. This doesn't necessarily mean abandoning the constituencies that elected him, but giving those who were not on the bandwagon, or who might have opposed him, a place at the table too.

Let's see if the political left handles this attempt at inclusiveness any better than the political right did. If not, they should just shut up and admit that they are as hypocfitical as those they oppose.

Inclusiveness means EVERYONE, whether we like it or not, including those who strongly oppose us. Otherwise it's not democracy, just fascism in a pretty new dress.

Mr. Chips